1. I am an only child. I was born the year China implemented the one child law, so my parents had only lil' ole me. Despite what you hear about only children being spoiled rotten, I might want to disagree in my case. I grew up extremely poor and worked since I was 13 years old. My parents never gave me an allowance and I've held all sorts of odd jobs through high school and college including waitressing, selling shoes, telemarketing, accounting assistant, adminstrative assistant, etc.
2. I'm unable to extend my right arm fully straight. In 2nd grade I decided it'd be fun to balance on a tree trunk that was on it's side. I slipped and probably half broke my right arm. My parents didn't have insurance so I never went to the doctor but it healed fine. The inability to extend is hardly noticeable though, probably due to my mom massaging it every night for me.
3. I'm a huge movie buff. At one time I believe I have watched all the 100 movies on Netflix's top 100 list. I used to go to the theater about once a week, but lately have gone less due to marriage and house planning. My favorite movie of all time? Life is Beautiful. Least favorite movie of all time? Perfume.
4. Three's Company is one of my favorite TV shows ever! I mean, this show was ahead of its time and even Friends reference Three's Company on multiple episodes. I still watch it from time to time and laugh my arse off. This show was one of the first ones I watched after moving to the US and it was a tool for me to learn English at the time. Being 8, I did not get the sexual innuedos until re-watching it in my grown-up years though! Haha!
5. I love singing my heart out but what's unique is that I can sing Korean, Japanese, and Cantonese songs even though I don't speak the languages. (Cantonese is Chinese but I speak Mandarin.) I've went Karaoke with people that speak these languages and they say when I sing, there is absolutely no accent. I'm quite proud of that! :)
6. I used to weigh about 40 pounds more than I do now in high school. At my highest weight, I was a size 14 and for my height, also for my family history, that was not normal. In college I lost a great amount of weight, unhealthily, and was a size 2. It wasn't until I turned 30 that I finally was truly comfortable with my body and now maintain a steady size 6. I try to eat well (I don't deprive myself of certain indulgences) and I exercise regularly.
7. I have a secret crush on Zac Efron. I know, he's the High School Musical guy. But I actually think he's an extremely talented and funny actor. If anyone hasn't seen 17 Again yet, I urge you to rent it on a Friday night. It's hilarious and that's the movie that made me fall for him. :)
8. I pride in my ability to keep in touch with distant friends. I'm extremely good at returning email and making sure that I stay in communication with people I truly cared about that's moved on. My best friend and I met in the 4th grade and I moved away in the 6th grade. Now, 20 something years later we still email on a daily basis. Prior to the existence of email, we wrote pages of letters to each other. In fact, I owe her a reply to an email she wrote yesterday, which I'm going to write after this blog. Hehe.
9. I once stole a cat! It's quite interesting actually. In 3rd grade while playing outside of our apartment, I heard a cat meowing at me on an apartment balconey. I walked up and took it home! I fed it and kept it. A few months later, my friend and I met a young couple that were animal lovers and we'd often go over to play with their animals. I told them I had a cat and described how Cookie looked. The guy at the time said, "Well, that sounds like our Toby, the cat we lost." Clueless, I said "Oh a lot of cats look like that." Fast forward a year or so later, my parents and I were moving to a bigger apartment that didn't allow pets, I asked the couple if they'd like to adopt my cat. Their response, "Sure, we'd love to have Toby back!" What a great couple they are, to be so nice to an oblivious kid who loved furry things. :)