Tuesday, April 12, 2011

At Last...A Side Table

My dad is a genius.  Literally!  He's one of the smartest man I know and I'm not just saying it because I'm his daughter.   OK...so maybe I'm a little biased.  But seriously, he knows a lot about everything.  When I was younger, I used to look up to him so much.  Kids had Superman as their heroes, but my dad WAS my Superman.

My dad's one of those people that excels at everything he does.  When he took the TOEFL (an academic test for students outside the US to test their understanding of English to get into the Universities here)...he scored number one in his Province in China.  He graduated Summa Cum Laude in his Ph.D of Electrical Engineering class and when he played soccer in college, he was the number one guy on his team.  Until about 10 years ago, he has never picked up a drill or any other tool in his life.  When I graduated from college, he wanted to get me a nice bed as a gift.  He decided to take a look at Macy's but as he started to look at their prices, he decided that rather than buying me a bed, he can make one for me!  Fast forward ten years and countless furniture projects later (including a deck project for our new house)...he brought me this today:

Facing the tv, the drawer is on top and there's a cubby at the bottom for magazines, books, etc.



On the other side, it's also functional.  This side, the cubby is up top and the drawer is on the bottom.

And the drawers have a sliding sectioned tray for remotes and other small knick knacks.  INGENIOUS!

I love my daddy!  He's also in the process of making an extension to our kitchen cabinets, a console table for behind our couch, and cabinets for our laundry room.  It'll take a while to get all of these projects done but once they're complete, I'll make sure to blog about it!

13 comments:

  1. Your dad rocks! He sounds like such a great guy. Very cool addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sweet dad! I like the fact that he built a sectional tray for your side table, smart man he is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! That's a great table, and a great dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay for new furniture!!! so when can i come over to see it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool. What a clever guy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous piece, and how super sweet and special that it was made by your dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww. Your dad is so handy! How awesome and special to have something he made in your house! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks girls! I'm so excited to see our next project. Can't wait to blog about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's AMAZING! You're so lucky to have such a talented father :) If I tried something like that, one of the legs would be shorter than the other LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! He's a regular Norm Abram (from This Old House)! His craftmanship is really good. The table is not only functional but also really nice to look at. In a store, this piece would totally be something I would want to buy. He truly is talented!

    ReplyDelete
  11. debbie deb - Thank you! I know...I don't know how he does the math and makes everything level...but I'm glad he can do it or else I'd be broke buying furniture.

    Pamela - Aww that is such a compliment!!! I'll tell my dad this and I'm sure he'll ask me if you need anything built! Not knowing you're not from here. :) He does that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wha??? that's AWESOME! I don't think I've ever seen my Dad with a tool other than a basic screwdriver or hammer.

    xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a gorgeous piece of furniture...I would love to have one!

    ReplyDelete